Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Lavez les plats, séchez les plats, retournez les plats - { Wash the dishes, dry the dishes, turn the dishes over }


In order to add another little tick to my eco goals list and perhaps make washing up just that little bit more fun....(yeah, right!!!), I've started making my own washing up liquid. Packaged up in a glass bottle with a little pretty card label with the recipe on the back and tied with vintage ribbon it also makes a festive addition to the kitchen bench top.


It's seen us through quite a few weeks now and although it can make the glassware a little streaky at times I'm pretty happy with it (I just put a little hot water in the other sink to give glasses and cutlery a quick rinse...et voila!). The only unnerving quality is that it doesn't suds up! Word on the street (Random Scientific Facts Avenue to be precise) is that modern dishwashing liquids don't need to suds up in order to clean effectively but the manufacturers add a sudsing ingredient to keep us all happy! Apparently we'd all have conniptions if our soap wasn't putting on a razzle dazzle bubbly show. Are you sensing a flock of fluffy white sheep following each others' tails....baaaa!


The recipe for this understated performer (no frills, sequins, fripperies.....or bubbles required) is 3 tabs. liquid castille soap, 2 tsp. glycerine, 2 tabs. lemon juice/white vinegar (I prefer lemon juice), 10 drops of lemon essential oil and 2 cups of warm water.

Time will tell whether this recipe's a keeper ...have to weigh up if the sometimes slightly streaky glasses and scummy sink are too much of a bother...or am I simply a dishwashing liquid snob....or worse....a lazy bones! At the end of the day, it does do a fab job, smells scrummy and keeps the fishies and dolphins happy. C'est la vie!



8 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, that's great because liquid soap is next on my list. Looks good enough to eat! xo m.

CurlyPops said...

The suds thing is absolutely true. There's no need for all those bubbles! It must smell delicious when you're washing up!

Heidi said...

Love your presentation It looks so pretty I think you would just want to dive into the dishpan with that beautiful lemon scent....

Wendy said...

Nicely done, Steph---I need to make up a batch of this myself. I'm with you on the lemon juice, BTW...much nicer than vinegar. :)

A'n'G Johnson said...

I can't wait to try this. I also think it will make a perfect addition to a cute housewarming gift basket!

Baa-Me Kniits said...

Great idea....love the label too :-)

Kylie said...

Will have to sniff your hands nxt time I see you:) Sorry (have a little bit of a smell fetish:)

I made some allpurpose spray - it works a treat.

Paper Tree Studio said...

So so pleased I found your blog!! I love the idea of your eco dish washing liquid. I use home made cleaning products (a Shannon Lush follower)like lavender water for cleaning my bench top, but did not have a formula for dish washing liquid - now I do, so thanks! Your blog is full of gorgeous images and I just love your etsy store! Look forward to your next post as I'm your newest follower! Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...