Thursday, June 3, 2010

Mon Espace Créateur - { My Creative Space }


One of my all time favourite artists would have to be Monet. As a leader of the Impressionism movement whereby artists used small brush strokes to create an "impression" of something, his use of colours was superb! I would love to have visited his garden in Giverny, France which served as inspiration to many of his famous artworks particularly Waterlilies, but sadly had to settle for a tour of his artworks in Le Musée D'Orsay in Paris. Oh boo hoo I here you say!




I have dabbled in a little bit of painting, mostly watercolours, but marvel at those who can wield a paintbrush and oil paint with ease and perch somewhere pretty and paint the day away. Oh to have one of those dear little palettes, a linen smock...a beret...a curly moustache...Oooh I'm heading into dangerous territory now...rewind....Oh to have one of those dear little palettes and a linen smock. Much better.





Sadly, most of my painting these days is in the form of walls, skirting boards and balustrades. And the occasional toe nail overhaul! But poppet on the other hand is creating up a storm. She has discovered how she can make marks on paper with pencils, crayons and paint....and at times has transferred this knowledge to other mediums such as furniture and walls...she's gifted I'm sure! In order to live a little vicariously through mon petit artiste I made her a little linen smock. A little coloured felt paintbrush and paint, some "Frenchy" embroidery (I am an artist!....no, not me, that's what the writing on the smock says), some plastic and some vibrant binding and Bijou now has a weeny little smock to match her weeny little easel.






Perhaps my next trip to Paris might not be so far off...some of her artwork should be hanging in the Louvre!


For more creative spaces please make yourself a giant cup of tea and settle in at Kirsty's inspiring blog.

27 comments:

Ky said...

That is such a sweet little smock, I'm sure your little one loves to wear it.

Anonymous said...

this is so adorable! love your creative mind Steph and wonderful stories :)

Unknown said...

What a cute little smock! It's a great alternative to apron! I love the felt applique:) You are so clever!

Jess@craftiness is not optional said...

ahhh...so sweet! love it!

quilary said...

With an easel, a smock and a smidgen of genetics, she will most definitely be un artiste. Lucky little Bijou

Jennie said...

I saw the Monet exhibition in Paris many years ago too!
I remember trying to find our way down little streets to find some other smaller galleries too. I've never walked so much in my life i think!
Love the smock - its just gorgeous Steph!

mel @ loved handmade said...

That is really lovely! Sweet applique..

Jill said...

Beautiful smock Steph! You always tell your blog stories so well. I can just picture a little poppet wearing this smock, a beret on her little head, and a wooden pallet in her hand as she creates a masterpiece on her easel!!

Tracey@bountifully said...

you are so clever, Steph, looks great, lucky Bijou!

Megan said...

that is so cute steph and i love the embroidery. lovely binding too :)

Cotton Kiwi said...

That is fantastic Steph! You should definately make a couple extra for your shop. It's brilliant!

Brenda @ 13 Acres said...

what a lovely little smock for the budding artist! Thanks for stopping by too. Are you having a stall at a market soon?? It's so much fun but sometimes it really does my head in. Have a great week...xx

Cathie said...

i love visiting you Steph, it reminds me of a stroll down those beautiful streets in Paris & of course a visit to the Louvre.
wonderful art smock for your little artiste!

Catherine said...

Again, Steph, you remind me of projects that I think of but don't fulfill (my little one just has old clothes for painting - but a smock would surely inspire creativity, c'est non?

mylittlebirdie said...

what a gorgeous little smock LOVE the red spotty binding. and something tells me miss poppet has her mamas artistic talents, passions and flair : )

Pam said...

Oh Steph, what a gorgeous little smock you've made there! What a lucky little Bijou!
Besides who says one can't wear a smock and a beret while indulging in a spot of creativity(painting or no), now and then. So away you go to sew up a storm for yourself. Tres chic, I say! And if one was also to don a small curly moustache while doing so, who would know?!! :))))) x

*kate said...

You are very talented! I am definitely inspired by this. I've been wondering about your easel ... the pictures are outside. Do you keep it outside all of the time? I know my daughter would make good use of an easel, but we don't have the space inside. But you've got me thinking perhaps we could keep it outside!

small forest said...

That gorgeous smock is itself a work of art. Such beautiful embroidery. I hope you are proud.
I too, would love to be perched somewhere painting!

P.S. My teenagers tell me I have the start of a moustache and I know my toenails need a complete makeover, months overdue.

A'n'G Johnson said...

I love what a proud mamma you are.
You should visit: Paintcutpaste.com for ideas for your little miss!

Wendy said...

Get it in the shop. Now. (Bijou can wait.) Price it exorbitantly. This is genius, Steph.

Heidi said...

It is so adorable, I don't think theres anything you can't do....too cute for words! does she love to paint also? Mimi always had more on everything than on her paper!

Sandra said...

This is such a cut smocke! My daughter loves to paint and draw and I`m ashamed to admit tha tshe had just an old shirt to put on when she is in " action". This definitively makes me thinking about changing that...

Brenda said...

Perfect for you little artist in the making!

Anonymous said...

that is just gorgeous Steph - your creations are always so inspired! I also have a few walls and bits of furniture around the house decorated by my wee girl, great you can laugh at it! Have a great weekend x

yardage girl said...

That is just the cutest little smock ever - beautiful work!

Chicken Willow said...

Very sweet, love the trim. xx

Cat said...

Si doux Steph! I love the paint brush and embroidery, very clever. xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...